A detox center is a rehab facility that offers detox programs for addicts experiencing withdrawal symptoms from drugs and alcohol. As the name suggests, addicts attend a detox program to clean their system from addictive substances by “detoxifying” their system. The programs also provide the support needed for a healthy recovery and professional medical supervision.
Detox centers are not all created equal, they employ different methodologies and range in features. Identifying a quality rehab can make all the difference between walking out into a new life or going back into the races.
Who Needs a Detox Center?
If stopping the consumption of drugs or alcohol causes withdrawal symptoms, then you are likely in need of a detox. A person who has developed a physical dependency on drugs will have a rather difficult time getting sober without attending a detox program. If symptoms are severe enough the life of the person seeking recovery could be at risk, as some withdrawal symptoms could be life-threatening.
The length of time a person needs to spend in detox will be dependent on their consumption and the degree to which their body heals, lasting anywhere between 24 hours and several days.
What to Look For in a Detox Center
So you’ve decided detox is your thing or the thing needed for that person you care for, you pull a quick google search and type “how to find a drug detox center” – suddenly, you find yourself lost in the complex and sparse set of options available to you.
It’s a tough call, not only do you want to make sure you get yourself or that loved one on the right track, but you also want to make sure your dollars are well invested the first time around.
So then where do you start?
First, you need to understand that a great detox center will help achieve three things:
- Reduce substance abuse or achieve a substance-free life (Preferably the latter)
- Maximize life functioning
- Preventing or reducing the frequency and severity of relapses
Any center that offers those three solutions is a great start, but that’s not the whole pie.
The Checkmarks ✅
Understanding how to find a drug detox center that works starts with a few simple checkmarks. Let’s go over them.
- Staff credentials: Please make sure that their doctor is actually a licensed doctor. The rehab website should offer information about their staff credentials that looks like this.
- Access to Medical Care Onsite: Goes-without-saying. Detoxifying is a delicate process, it requires medical help beyond bandaids and aspirin. Make sure a doctor is available on site and that he or she has the right tools to support emergencies and detox treatments.
- Program accreditation: Check that the program itself has been accredited by an official health organization such as JCAHO or CARF. These organizations follow rigorous standards that will ensure patients are being taken care of properly.
- Financing: You can’t put a price on life, let alone let a price tag on the right treatment center keep you from getting the right help. Medical treatments carry their costs and ensuring that a detox center has financing options, or that they take your medical insurance is an important step in planning your decision.
- Support Programs: Support programs vary from in-house 12-step programs to alumni aftercare. These programs will be the life-support that ensures addicts stay away from relapsing long after they leave rehab. A detox center that does not offer some form of a support group should be a big red flag, stay away.
- Tailored Solutions: Each person is different, which means each recovery journey is not going to be the same. Find a facility that offers tailored options.
- Life Integration: After many years of addiction, it can be difficult to land back in the real world on your two feet. Therapy and life skills programs should be available to help addicts re-integrate into a new life.
- Zen space – Going to detox should feel a little bit like medical tourism. Getting yourself or your loved one into a comfortable space with good vibes can’t be overstated. Check what’s on the menu, look out for a gym in the facility, and give them extra points if they have yoga.
Making It Easy For You
Now that you know all there is to know about how to find a drug detox center, it’s time to take action.
Instead of browsing the web for countless treatment centers, you can go ahead and check out Veritas Detox.
Veritas checks all the boxes and excels at delivering exceptional detox treatments. Their ultra-well-equipped rehab facility is accredited by JCAHO and employs top-notch licensed professionals. Their in-house gym, yoga classes, and gourmet meals will make rehab feel more like a weekend in Cancun, than a visit to the doctor.Come detox with us. Contact Veritas Detox today for a free consultation.